Monday, May 2, 2011

Acrylic Painting Video Series




So school got out last week and I used my extra time to produce another video series - Acrylic Painting. I've wanted to do this now for several months. I'm still amazed at how amazing the internet is - I almost think that it's a blessing to have grown up without it. I don't think my kids appreciate it as much as I do.
Anyway, the internet has made it possible for me to share what I've learned as an illustrator and instead of the frustrations of trying to explain how to dry brush I can now show it. In the videos I take the painting you see above from start to finish in real time. I didn't speed this one up so anyone viewing it can see exactly how you can dry brush with acrylic paint. I start it with a sketch, transfer to paper, add acrylic texture, under-painting (or Grisaille), and finally the finished painting using wet paint, glazes, and dry brushing. I talk about everything from materials to design.

I often hear my students complain about how much they HATE acrylics - I tell them, "It's because you want them to do something that they aren't good for." In these videos I'll show you why acrylics have been the workhorse medium for illustrators world wide.

I also included two bonus videos - two different approaches to using acrylics: Painterly and cross hatching. I really hope these videos are helpful to anyone trying to learn how to paint with acrylics! Click here for more information.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! looks awesome Will! I almost want to buy it just to see you paint.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...