Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nasty Bugs!!!



It's so nice to have a part in seeing a project go from beginning to end. I was privileged to work with the great Lee Bennett Hopkins - THE poet anthologist for kids. He's basically won all the poetry awards and even holds a Guinness world record for most prolific poetry anthologist. My editor at Penguin was like, "Do you know how famous Lee is?" and I had to apologize because I'm not well read in poetry- so I looked him up and holy cow! Anyway - he seems like a really nice guy too and in Nasty Bugs he's gathered some of the best poets from around the country and spun a web of YUCK!!!...for the boys...and the girls who are more brave than I.


This was a very fun book to work on - a dream project really because each illustration is a stand alone. When I finished one I could take on the challenge of new characters for a new nasty poem. One of the challenges in illustrating a traditional book is that often the story takes place in one or two locations which means that backgrounds have to be similar - which means similar colors. You have to constantly dream up new ways to keep the images fresh and avoid redundancy.

I sure hope I get to work with Lee and Dial again - Jason Henry did a fabulous job designing and laying out the book. I've always wondered why the designers don't get their name on the cover as well - they do so much work.

9 comments:

  1. Sir Will: The pleasure was all mine. Your work is truly amazing. You made nastier bugs nastier than they are! Thank you. Lee www.leebennetthopkins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book looks great, Will! I love how you somehow make the bugs look cute through their nastiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of bugs, but wow, those are some great illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Can't wait to add it to my Will Terry collection

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great great work. So excited for you. I hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so great, WillTerry.com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours and fun/scary illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful! I love all kind of bugs( but I prefer to see them on the picture :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic Will! Love those nasty bugs. Hope I get my hands on a copy and check out the rest of your illos.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...