Friday, December 7, 2012

New Photoshop Tutorial Makeover


I'm happy to announce that I just finished another tutorial and this one is a re-make of "Digital Painting in Photoshop". I bought better screen capture software so I decided to make another tutorial that displays higher quality video so viewers can see the settings more clearly. If you've already purchased the old version of this tutorial - you get this new one for FREE! You can still view the old version but you'll now notice that this new tutorial has replaced the old one. To view the old version you'll have to click the link at the top of the Digital Painting video page at folioacademy.com

In addition I demonstrate how to actually make several physical textures - scan them - and manipulate them to be used in digital paintings.


I begin with a sketch and describe how I begin adding value and then work into color.


I also made a sped up version of the painting and put it up on my Youtube channel. I love making these tutorials because I get to paint something I love - and talk about it - I love helping others unlock their potential!


Note: This is not a general "how to" in Photoshop - rather it's how I use textures to paint illustrations in Photoshop. You can purchase the tutorial here!

Also, we are doing a buy on get one Free (of equal or lesser value) at folioacademy.com for the month of Dec.! More on that in my next post but if you want to take advantage of it simply purchase a video and then email us from the folioacademy website which video you would like for free and like Christmas Magic it will appear in your account!


23 comments:

  1. Awesome thanks Will! You are very generous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, if we ever meet, I'm going to give you the biggest hug (and I don't hug, just cyberly, lol). And it's amazing how when I need something you magickally (yah I spelt that the way I wanted, lol) appear it! A) was not liking what I was doing for my app project, so decided to go over to Folio to refresh becaus I love your characters so... but decided to pop over here first. and VOILA! A new more clearerer and conciserer video! And then B) I had been telling a couple of people I wanted two more of your videos (the ones on designing character and color) and you're having this offering! Might I say a mighty WOOOOHOOOOOO and THANK YOU?! Okay, WOOOOOHOOOOO and THANK YOU! (the only other wish would be for Jake to do advanced courses on perspective and how he works with the computer, another one who's work I really like. After I've achieved app for the two books I'm working on for Margot (they can use the same assets), I'll schedule the time to put together a proposal for calligraphy and font use if you'd like. I feel the same way about promoting good work and information. Thank you again, Will and I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs Agy! This has been in the back of my mind for 6 months wanting to find the time to re-make this one - I'm so happy you're happy! :)

      Delete
  3. Great music for the trailer! Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I found that on Premiumbeat.com - great royalty free music and very affordable.

      Delete
  4. The updated video is awesome Will. And the final resulting image is one of my favorite images of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - so glad you like it - it was a sketch I started working on in a meeting and it just sort of started taking shape.

      Delete
  5. Hi Will,
    Can't wait to see the new version. On my account page the old version (with the children riding the frog) has disappeared but the new versions is not there. Is there a delay in getting it?
    Much appreciated!
    Geoff Westby ( geoffw_1968@yahoo.com )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting - I'm seeing them just fine on my PC both in moble format for iPad and in Firefox on desktop. Could you email me and give me detailed description of browser and hardware so I can forward it on to IT? Thx Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met some authors who made book apps for children at the What Women Want expo this year, I liked their stuff... imaginative and interactive for kids. But your stuff is way better! Not just because its written AND illustrated by you. I don't know, I just like the way yours is presented and the colors and playfulness (maybe it helps that I know you on facebook too!) anyway just wanted to cheer you on and remind you that we all love your stuff and want to see more app books from you! thanks for what you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael - you're too good for the ego! :) I feel like I'm having way to much fun to receive compliments on top of it!

      Delete
  8. yay! More of Will's magic to watch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just have to say I love the fish...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buy one get one free. Brilliant. I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Will, thank you for this new Version. It is allways a delight to watch how you create your images. I especially like your use of color.
    One small tip though: in the last video, where you do the level adjustment, you say that one has to merge all the layers to do these adjustments.
    Well, there is another way via an adjustment layer on top of the layer stack. try these out. they are great to work with.
    Especially because with the layer mask you can determine on which areas of the image they should be applied.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a quick Thank you for adding the updated tutorial. I look forward to viewing it....and Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Will,
    Just want to tell you how much I enjoy your video, each day I go over it slowly trying to take over your teachings in my work.
    I was kind of 'at a loss', my paintings looked too 'digital' and I wanted to improve what I was doing but did not know how. I also watch all the video's for free on YouTube, absolutely fantastic!
    You seem to get a great joy out of helping other creatives to achieve their goal. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so fun to here! I do love sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The whole "circle of life..." idea...love it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...