Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Text Book Covers for Innovatus


This year I painted 9 textbook covers for Innovatus in acrylic. It was a really fun project and I got to work with Karen Steinberg who I had worked with over 10 years ago when she was at Harcourt. It was interesting coming up with "acceptable animals" - apparently not all animals are created equal in educational publishing...some come with baggage. In some countries certain animals are sacred and yet others are "dirty" and not fit for the classroom. It was a challenge finding usable animals without repeating.

Also I found it funny that in this cover the animals absolutely had to wear helmets for safety but were allowed to desecrate natural arches with their combustion engine desert machines - up to a $5,000 fine in a national park.

6 comments:

  1. I was always curious about textbook covers growing up. The covers never really seemed to have anything to do with the subject of the book. But now I can clearly see the connection. It all makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work Will, I wouldn't have even thought about the animal's being suitable, thanks for sharing, it's an interesting point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work and very interesting too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Hippo totally offends me! But the destruction of the environment is very pleasing. Good work Will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the animal textbook challenge isn't a problem for the illustrator as much as it's a problem for the art director. They are involved with every cover - even the ones you as the illustrator are not- so they have used every acceptable animal 3 times over and then some. I think deep down they keep hoping for new animal species to be discovered.

    Rob - I'm a close personal friend of that Hippo and he reads my blog - He's headed to your house as we speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the letter cacti, but it would have been better if you had spelled out the words 'HI VON!'

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...