Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sneak Preview - How To Design An Image


This has been a total joy to work on this image and video for two very different reasons. 1) Since I'm using it in my upcoming video tutorial "How To Design An Image" it was a good excuse to work on a fun piece. The video will be released at Folio Academy around January. 2) I figured why not kill two birds with one stone and make an assignment out of it - illustrate a song. The song is Tomorrow by Ladytron.



1) I've wanted to make a video series on design and composition for years and it's finally happening! I've been gathering and working this up literally for two years plus. It's been the hardest tutorial I've put together out of all of the video tutorials I've made thus far. Design is one of those subjects that teachers often fail to break down for students. It's really difficult to put feelings into words and concepts - things that you learn over time and begin to accept. There really isn't any magic to it if you're willing to break it down into steps and principles. So anyway I hope to have it up on Folio Academy in early January along with a complete re-design of the site.

2) I chose to illustrate a song because I've never done it before and I really really really love this song - Tomorrow by Ladytron. It's one of those songs that I think most of us can relate to in one way or another. The figure is loosely based on lead singer Helen Marnie but not really because I don't enjoy doing likenesses.

I went to H.S. during the 80's and will admit that I liked Thomas Dolby when you could get your &$% kicked for it. Also I was way into Depeche Mode, The Smiths, A Flock of Seagulls and so on. In the 90's Pet Shop Boys, Electronic, INXS, and so on. Now it's called synthpop or electronic and I still love it.

My iPod is full of: Cut Copy, Ladytron, Faded Paper Figures, The Dandy Warhols, Hey Champ, Miike Snow, Tenek, Coconut Records, Groove Armada, Empire of the Sun, Paola, Mount Sims, Zoot Woman, MGMT, Ladyhawke, Phoenix, Guster, Tesla Boy, and on and on.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, for the speed painting tutorial! I enjoy learning you're illustrating techniques. I've been burning out on learning style sheets on my free time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to this video tutorial on Folio Academy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so gorgeous! Thank you. It was great to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will, as usual a very nice image and the music isn't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool! i am in love with your highlights. they make the elements in the picture really glow. i feel like i can touch the glass jars and feel their cold surface

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! I has so much fun working on this piece...I'll have to get another song stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting the video...it's a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will I just got and went through 3 of your Folio videos. You are a great teacher and I for one will be first in line for this one. Thank you for your generosity.You can check out my illustration using your lessons on my blog. I know, I know I need to make a lot of corrections next time but I wanted to get some of your lights effects. I think I need to simplify and lighten up and make it more fun and silly. Thanks again for beeing sucha great teacher and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching your process. Frankly, if you posted an hour long video of the process, I would still be just as mesmerized. I love your style, Will. Thank you for continuing to let us peek into your world. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...