Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Painting Color & Light Online Class

I'm very excited to announce our SVS Painting Color & Light class that is now available on our website. I'm not sure what I like painting more - color or light - so why pick? Let's do them both! Actually you really can't have color without light and vice versa so it makes sense to have a class dedicated to the exploration of both.



The class will start at the end of January and will run for 6 weeks each Tuesday. You can see all the details here.



This class will also offer some very detailed assignments - I'll blog about them later as we get a few weeks out from the start of the class - but I have already designed them. Students will have a choice of 3 assignments at various levels. Also - there will be two prep class sessions in early January that we will offer for free for those who are new to painting, have never taken formal illustration classes, or need to brush up on their value and color skills. These prep classes will be offered for free if you can attend the LIVE video taping but will be offered as a video in our store if you cannot make the Live session. I'll announce those dates very soon. We'll use an upgraded version of GoToMeeting so we can accommodate a large number of attendees.



Adding luminosity to your paintings can make the difference between "good" and "AMAZING!"



Oh, and we'll also be featuring Blue Sky artist Ty Carter - he's been taking the animation industry by storm with his amazing luminous paintings! Check out his work here and check out the class here.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool class! Absolutely Love your snowboarding Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work! I just finished watching your video on the ProCreate app. I'm looking to get an iPad. Can I ask what model you have? I'm contemplating between the iPad Air and the mini with retina display. But it comes down to workspace...I am concerned that the mini won't be large enough. And do your sketches generally have a seamless transition to Photoshop? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine - I still have an iPad 2 but I'll probably get the Air pretty soon (hear that Santa?) My 2 is getting bogged down with the new upgrades and updates to many of my apps.

      Delete
    2. Hi Will, Thanks for the insight. Santa brought me new cowboy boots (yeah!) So I'll be saving for the iPad Air as well! I was leaning towards the Air and my son (age 19 and an Apple geek) was recommending it highly.

      Delete
  3. Hi Will, I had to post again. I'm a high school art teacher (for 8 years...taught college 11 years prior to that). What you said on your "Artists/musician" YouTube video is right on target. If art teachers took offense, that's their problem. You totally nailed it. I struggle every school year and fight to provide authentic art experiences and critiques, yet most of the students don't take it seriously. They don't draw in their sketchbooks, the ones that are going on to art school often are not passionate about pursuing art. Feedback after they go to college/art school is often that they couldn't do what they wanted!!! So you are not alone! It's happening everywhere!

    Thank you so much for your posts. I'm so thrilled to have discovered your work. I pursued children's book illustration (blindly I might add!) when my children where young, they are now 19 and 15 and when I had to take on the high school art position due to financial need, I promised myself and my family that once we were able to, I would pursue my love and desire to reenter the children's book market. I have been published in numerous art books and have a couple of educational books under my belt. But I've learned a lot in the interim and my work will be much stronger.

    As an artist I keep up my website: www.christinedion.com.
    As a teacher: www.mrsdion.com. I teach ALL of my lessons from the website and I have embedded the video I mentioned above into my Fundamentals of Drawing page under "Advice from the Field"...I have several classes and several colleagues who need to see it and show their students. Hearing it from YOU will hopefully wake up some of our lazy "art students"!

    Thanks again, sorry so long! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience! I really enjoyed reading your perspective as a teacher. Our work is never done - there are so many aimless souls searching for meaning in their lives and good teachers are light places in the dark.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Well said! I see the aimlessness every day. So many of them struggling and yet most of it stemming from a weak family foundation. Keep up the great work! I will too!

      Delete
  4. such online art classes seem beautiful, i simply loved the skeleton and the bird on your first image, carry on with even more dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will,
    Thank you for taking the time to teach, share, and express your love of art. I have been watching your tutorials in YouTube and they are fantastic. I have loved art since I could hold a pencil and have taught various children's art classes over the years. I love to draw, paint, create anything I can get my hands on. I am working on a children's book and was trying to decide which media to create it in. Then I saw your artwork and fell in love with it. I have been playing around in photoshop and illustrator for 10 years, but not to the extent you have. I love how your characters come to life, their personalities shine through in your art. I think it tells a lot about the artist. You put so much detail and care into your artwork, it is amazing. I am excited to try new things and save up for CS5, I am using CS2 and I am so excited to upgrade. Thank you again for sharing your talent and videos.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will,
    I forgot to ask you something. What DPI do you set your artwork at in Photoshop? I usually work in 350, but was wondering if you do much higher than that.
    Thank you
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...